Amy Jo Lamb, Christina A. Metzler; Defining the Value of Occupational Therapy: A Health Policy Lens on Research and Practice. Am J Occup Ther 2014;68(1):9-14. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2014.681001.
Download citation file:
© 2019 American Occupational Therapy Association
The primary goals of the evaluation are to understand the changes [in] practices made to provide coordinated and timely delivery of primary care to high-need Medicare beneficiaries in their homes, as well as the resulting impact on health outcomes, utilization of services, Medicare cost, transition to long-term placement in nursing homes and associated Medicaid costs, and patient satisfaction for Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in these practices and their family members and caregivers. (Center on Health Care Effectiveness, 2013)
coordinated care helps ensure that patients, especially the chronically ill, get the right care at the right time, with the goal of avoiding unnecessary duplication of services and preventing medical errors. When an ACO succeeds in both delivering high-quality care and spending health care dollars more wisely, it will share in the savings it achieves for the Medicare program. (CMS, 2012a)
1. Assessment of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment options2. Improving health care systems3. Communication and dissemination research4. Addressing disparities5. Accelerating patient-centered outcomes research and methodological research. (PCORI, 2012, p. 8)
1. Assessment of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment options
2. Improving health care systems
3. Communication and dissemination research
4. Addressing disparities
5. Accelerating patient-centered outcomes research and methodological research. (PCORI, 2012, p. 8)
As part of a multidisciplinary team, occupational therapy practitioners have a role in the other recommended areas listed in the American Geriatrics Society and British Geriatrics Society 2010 [fall prevention] guidelines, including medication management, postural hypotension management, and recommendation of appropriate footwear, because those areas also affect occupational performance. (p. 150)
This PDF is available to Subscribers Only
For full access to this pdf, sign in to an existing account, or purchase an annual subscription.